Monday, January 5, 2009

Our Early Ethiopian Chirstmas Present!

Guess whose picture we're looking at?! That's right! We got our call today. For months and months I've been dreaming about what I'd write when I finally got to create this post -- well, that's all out the window now. Its 10:39 -- past my bedtime -- but I promised I post what info I could, so here goes -- and I apologize for the lack of profundity:

Sometime just shortly after noon, I was in the WalMart parking lot, having just finished loading up our groceries, when my phone rang. It being the first day the AGCI offices were open following the holidays, I briefly wondered if it might be my husband. But, alas, it was a number I didn't recognize -- and it wasn't the prefix for Portland, where AGCI is located. Of course, since I don't ever receive phone calls from AGCI, I wasn't aware that they don't call out from that prefix. Anyhow, some strange thing caused me to answer regardless. And it was Julie. Our case worker. I don't remember which thought I had first -- "What the heck? Why is she calling me instead of hubby?" or "Oh my gosh. Its actually happening." Either way, I was in the WalMart parking lot. Not with hubby. So after confirming that this was indeed THE Call, I asked her to call me back in half an hour when I would be with hubby. Then I called Hubby. He had just found Julie's voicemail on his cell phone and had guessed what was up. I told him I was on my way. Then I called my mom. Then -- don't tell the cops this, since we have a law here that forbids it -- I started driving while calling our biggest adoption fan, Susan. AND, to top it off, I broke a REALLY big rule and sent a text to Amy W, because I promised her I would. After an excruciating drive home, I dashed inside, threw anything remotely perishable (still in the grocery bags) into the refrigerator and dashed right back outside again. If our neighbors didn't already think we were completely bonkers, they probably would now. Then I got stuck behind a truck going 10 miles UNDER the speed limit. Going down a hill. It was really painful. Even my three year-old, my unwitting partner in all this craziness, was complaining. To make a long story short, we eventually made it to hubby's office. (He has conference calling and Grandma is across the street.) During the looong drive, I had hubby call Julie to let her know that it would be a little longer, and that we would call her from where hubby was. Well, wouldn't you know that when we tried to call she had gone on lunch break. Lunch break!
Anyhow, we finally did eventually get to chat with her and hear the news we have waited so long to hear. There is a baby girl for us. Almaz, at Hannah's Hope, the home in Ethiopia, estimates she is between 7 1/2 to 8 weeks old. We were emailed 22 adorable pictures of "M" -- she is small with big eyes and a little bit of hair. Tomorrow we will get our actual referral packet via UPS. In the meantime, I have already contacted two different pediatricians who specialize in adopted children. We are required to run the baby's medical info by one such doctor before we can officially accept the referral. For now, she appears to be a beautiful, healthy little girl!

What a long-awaited answer to prayer! Praise God!



*Sorry I can't give more details or post photos on the Internet.


13 comments:

Eryn said...

congrats! That is really wonderful news! I have stalked your blog a few times...do you live in the pacific northwest? Just wondering. I do...some of your comments sound familiar.

jody said...

Congratulations-baby girls!!! Ours is just a tinsy bit younger! hope to meet you in Addis!! :) (and why must people drive UNDER the speed limit when we REALLY need to get someplace??????)

Margaret and Cordel said...

Congratulations on your new princes!!!

Nancy said...

This is great news!

Leann said...

congratulations!!!!

Dawn said...

WOOHOO!!!! SO happy for you Sarah!!! I'm still on cloud 9!!!

Michelle said...

Hooray!!!!! I am SO happy for you! We will continue to pray for you in this process!

Keren said...

Eeeekkk!! So so so exciting!! We are very happy for you and Allan and wish you a very quick and speedy process in being able to pick her up!!!

Kristi J said...

Congrats Sarah!!! So happy for you!!! I can't wait to be in your shoes...even if it happens in the Walmart parking lot..I'll take it :) Excited for you here in TN, kristi

Kristi J said...

thanks for your comment...Having lots of kids around really does make the time go quickly...Can't wait to see you be able to post a pic of your baby girl!! So excited for you guys, kristi

Jessica said...

Yay!!! Oh I am so excited for you!! She is the same age as Keeley!!! I will continue to pray for you guys!!

Amanda Hug'n Kiss said...

Oh my gosh, this is such an answer to prayer. I know your wait has been excrutiating. Now you know what you were waiting for! Congradulations Mommy!

tscarter7 said...

Hey cool! My name is in your blog! :) well, more importantly YAYYYYYYYYY!!!! Can't wait to see pictures and actually meet her! We are so happy for you all and we are praying for all the rest to go smoothly!