Monday, December 15, 2008

Telephonophobia

Ever heard of it? Well, I've got it. Its the fear of using a phone*. Calling on the phone, answering the phone -- both are very difficult for me. I've gotten better though. I still get sweaty palms when I call anyone other than my mother or my husband, but at least now I can call to make my own appointments.

So why this confession? Because I'm probably the only mommy-in-waiting in the history of our agency who has her husband as the primary person to call. Yes, indeed. When our blessed moment arrives, my hubby will be the first to know! So its HIS name I anticipate with such anxiety every time I check my incoming calls. It also makes matters more complicated since he does call for other reasons throughout the day -- so I never really know. But, considering the fact that I'd probably faint if I saw AGCI's number on my phone, it really is the better option. Even if it is really weird.


*I made this up. However, I have heard of other people with a strong aversion to talking on the phone, so I wouldn't be surprised if there actually is a term for it. Just like coulrophobia, which is the fear of clowns and another phobia of mine. I'm actually bothered by any masked or costumed character, which my hubby says is related to my fear of the phone because in both cases the other person involved is concealed. He could have something there. The irony is that in his younger days my husband spent a number of years performing as a clown on mission trips around the world. But that's a post for a different day....

6 comments:

jody said...

that is ok, i think i am developing phone rage-as in every day that goes by that my phone sits silent, i feel a little more angry and bitter at my poor helpless little phone, as if it is the phone's fault that AGCI is not calling. never mind that every day that goes by is one day closer to getting The Call, that isnot relevant to my condition!!

Dawn said...

i hear ya! i look at my phone all day and check to make sure it's working and i have service, etc etc. isn't it funny how your life can revolve around a phone?! i'll be happy when i can unglue the phone from me.

God Made Playdough said...

I hate talking on the phone too. That's why I prefer texting! Feel free to text me any time rather than calling! :) I know you'll have a million people to tell when you do get "the call", but can you add me to your list? You can text or email if you want.

Dawn said...

Yes - #1 is STINKY! Please let me know if you hear back from Julie and what she says. My husband just told me that I should call her and ask the same question. So, I'll save her the call if you get an answer. This is hard. WAY harder than I thought #1 was going to be. I almost wish I never knew that we were #1... and that we just got the call at #3 or something.. would make it MUCH easier. My anixety levels are getting crazy!!

Brian and Autumn said...

You are CRAZY to have your husband be the primary person to call. That means you will know a whole 5 minutes later than you could have. Actually, the more I think about it maybe you are a GENIUS. I guess it doesn't really matter WHO we get the call from, the suspense waiting to hear is the same all around :)

tscarter7 said...

I think clowns are ABSOLUTELY scary and creepy!
PS I would love to be on your call list pretty please please please!