Thursday, December 11, 2008

Looking Forward

Looking forward to something really has its downsides. Its been about a week since we learned that we are just about as close as you can get to a referral without actually having one. And I'm hanging in there. Really. After three years on this journey, what's another couple of weeks? Trouble is that all isn't so rosy after that blessed moment of referral. And that's what's got me down. (And writing in sentence fragments, apparently.) Its like almost being to that last rest area before the most difficult part of the journey. For three years I've watched families get referrals only to then plunge into all manners of despair as they wait for court, wait for travel and/or experience lengthy delays, mistakes in paperwork, and even closure of of their country's program. Some have even lost their children before they were even able to bring them home. Adoption is like the longest pregnancy ever, followed by the longest labor and delivery ever...all for the price of a new SUV. And that doesn't include the emotional toll. I spend my moments praying for all these other families, their children, and their circumstances. With my own troubles heaped on top. Sometimes I wonder what on earth I've signed on for....

Lord, thank you for the blessing that I KNOW adoption to be -- help me to BELIEVE that ALL things DO work together for the good of those who love you. Grant me an extra measure of grace as I wait for that "rest area" and the journey to follow.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Ok so Julie said it's going to be awhile??? What does that mean? Hmm. Oh Sarah I will go crazy if we don't have referrals by Christmas!

Erin said...

This post is SO TRUE! I am so very excited for you and Dawn to get those calls (BEFORE CHRISTMAS PLEASE)

Our journey said...

I am standing alongside you praying for the peace and grace you need. I know that it is hard, but it is better to be prepared that the "wait" doesn't end once you see her picture, but we will still all be walking alongside you.

Amanda Hug'n Kiss said...

I'm just gonna keep praying for both you and your little girl. It must be really hard to have this situation so out of your control. Just continue to be faithful!

Maria and Family said...

Having been thru an adoption with Guatemala, and now Ethiopia I can agree with you completely. BUT I have learned the journey is so worth it. You have to remember you are NOT in control. Period. Try to just let it play out and before yo know it you will be holding your baby girl in your arms :) Then this will all be a memory. (Ethiopia really is one of the best countries to adopt from also, problems seem to work out fairly quickly so dont stress hugs) Maria

jody said...

ok i just came here to leave a comment about hanging in there but i was distracted by the funniness of the word verification letters thingy below-it said "bacon" hahhahaha, i love bacon. so much that it got me all excited and now i forgot what profoundly encouraging thing i was going to say! Oh well. i will just say hang in there, know you are not alone on this long journey and PLEASE BRING US OUR REFERRALS NOW THANK YOU. i think i'm going to go eat some bacon now....

tscarter7 said...

We love you guys and are praying for grace while you wait. Hang in there!!! All the Carters :)

Kristi J said...

That was well said!! I can't wait to be #1 even though I'd be just fine if I got my referral before ever reaching that number ;) We're blessed to have other children keeping us busy..I feel for those that are waiting and have no babies to hold at home...praying for you and hoping that referral comes soon, kristi