Thursday, May 28, 2009

Looking for Advice

My little beauty hides a dirty little secret. With nearly every bowel movement we have a blowout. Usually up the back. And its not necessary diarrhea. It just always shoots up that way. Sometimes up the back AND the front. I'm changing her and washing her clothes constantly. We have a spare car seat cover that I've had to change frequently too. I've had two boys -- one of whom had serious digestive issues -- but I've never encountered this before. Sure, we had our share of blowouts -- always at the most inopportune times, as blowouts by definition tend to be -- but this is different. And very frustrating. And more than a little disgusting.

Anyway, its not the poop itself that frustrates me. Its that the poop is everywhere, all the time. So I wondered, is this more common with girls or something? I mean, things are a little different down there. Or is it related to her, um, chunkiness? Or does she just have uncommonly, shall we say, strong, um, movements? I don't know. But since she's not going to be potty trained...or even having more solid movements, for some time now, I'm wondering if anyone has found anything that works to contain said movements. We nearly always layer in a onesie because that at least keeps it in her clothes (EW!) and not on the person holding her, per se. But that requires peeling off a poopy onesie every time (again EW!). We've tried fastening her diaper (disposable) in different ways and even different kinds of diapers, but its always the same. Diaper covers (like the kind that come with dresses) and shorts/pants with wide elastic waistbands don't help.

So, anyone have any creative ideas? We would ALL be so grateful!

(And, yes, I just finished changing one. And changing the car seat. Again. Hence this post.)

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I would definelty say this is not 'girl related'. kelly has had some blowouts in the past(under 1 year old). which i would say is normal. but to have one everytime is a bit excessive. have you tired giving her bananas?? maybe you are overloading her with too much fiber/juice. if you are giving her juice that is. i actually would probably ask her pediatrician about this...man, no fun though!! hope you can get this issue solved.

paige said...

No poo containment advice, but have you tried switching to a lactose free formula for your little tootsie? I don't know what you're currently using, but if giardia isn't an issue, lactose intolerance might be the concern. Soy proteins mimic lactose proteins, so it can be problematic too.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but this doesn't sound fun for anybody in the fab fam.

jody said...

let me tell you sista-WE ARE IN THE SAME STINKY GROSS BOAT!!!! oh my gosh, to go thru 5 outfits a day is not uncommon-what do they do to those babies over there???? and she is on lactose free formula so that is not the issue-we were thinking it is the bleepity bleeping tb meds she is on for no reason and they are certainly are not helping, but she is not dehydrated or losing weight so i am thinking we just have to wait it out. no, not a single solution for you as we have tried everything too-the only thing that could help is we have a mattress sized waterproof pad that i cut into pieces to put in her carseat so i do not have to wash it constantly b/c even though we too have an extra cover, it is NO FUN to take it off and on ALL THE TIME. oh i am sorry for your troubles but i am glad we are not alone in our poopland-the other day was the WORST ever as it was literally like vesuvius out the back and running down my arm-so ladylike of my little princess who just smiled thru the whole thing...guh-ross.

Melissa said...

go up one size on the disposables. see if that's not at least a little better. it worked for us.

Aubrey said...

I was in the same situation as you for the first three weeks we were home. It was terrible and I totally sympathize. Our doctor prescribed Culturelle probiotic capsules (they're an adult natural remedy but he said it was fine to open a capsule and put it in her formula). We also started her on polyvisol liquid multi-vitamin with iron, which tends to be constipating (yay for constipation!:))It took about a week but those two things in combination seemed to do the trick and she has been fine since then. I was really worried she was lactose intolerant but we kept her on the same formula she had at H.H. so our doctor said that wasn't likely. I guess he was right! **You actually don't need a prescription for the Culturelle, it's an over-the-counter supplement.

Michelle said...

I don't have any advice, but I can relate! Megan only goes about once a week, so you could only imagine what it's like when she does. My boys were the same way. Hang in there!!

Jessica said...

Keeley has had the same issue. I have found that more frequent diaper changes help (Keeley is a heavy wetter),when the diaper is soaked with pee the poo has no choice but to go out. But I also know that you have two other kids to take care of as well. So I recommend using huggies overnights even during the day (they are awesome at night!)until her poo is a little more solid. They have better absporbancy and better elastic around the legs!

Maria and Family said...

I would go up a diaper size and use something like huggies that has a tighter elastic. we do NOT have this issue, since tatiana is still battling constipation/pain issues. good luck