Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Love is in the House

So far the question we are asked most is how our little one is adjusting. The answer? She's doing very well. She's a happy chunk of a thing -- pretty content to roll with whatever we've got going on. We're trying to keep things mellow for her, but our life is a little too crazy for that. Plus Mama gets a little stir crazy sometimes. We've walked the mall a few times, hit the playground in the stroller, and made our debut at church, among other things. We've also started rice cereal, which she loves but hasn't figured out how to swallow yet. Its a work in progress!

The rest of us? Well, we're getting there. The biggest issue isn't surprising: sleep. She still wakes 2 or 3 times a night for a bottle and will only nap for short periods of time...in a crowded room. If its too quiet, she can't sleep. We have her in our room, with a nightlight, which is an adjustment in and of itself for us. Our boys spoiled us by sleeping in their own room fairly early on, and were definitely sleeping through the night by this age. Its tough to go to sleep at 9, wake up at 7, and have only gotten 5 or 6 hours of sleep.

The boys are doing fairly well. The eldest was pretty wild our first week back -- his way of coping with change -- then he got sick. Our youngest is being a royal stinker...but he was starting that before we left. He has a will of steal...and he's not afraid to use it!

Really, though, things are going so much better than I hoped. I had really prepared myself for a very difficult time -- you know, worst case scenario -- but we're actually doing okay. I have no doubt that its the prayers of so many people that makes the difference. It was really tough with all the travel and sickness and preparations to miss church as much as we did -- I came back desparate for some quiet time with my Bible.

If nothing else, we are just soo glad to be back. We are being spoiled with meals and prayers and love -- and a baby shower next Wednesday!

I promise to post more about our trip the next time I have a spare moment, which translates to lots of pictures!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh I just LOVE her!! I miss you guys!! Your sleep issues sounds EXACTLY what we are going through.. EXACTLY. Let me know if you figure it out!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

HOW CUTE is that? Love the pics she is adorable!!!

God Made Playdough said...

What?! You went to the mall without me? :) When you were gone, I went to the Mexican place and he asked me again if I worked at the mall and gave me a discount! :)

jody said...

Such a happy little lady!! yay! that is the ONE thing that has been AWESOME-Zoe sleeps thru the nite for the most part (sometimes gets up at 4:30 but not always) so that has been HUGE in the midst of everything else going on. But still, SO TIRED. SO anyway, yup we got room so c'mon over to VA soon, 'k?????

ps-word verification is "creem"-eeewww, totally gross spelling....

Renee said...

ok wait did you say you get 4-5 hours sleep...in a row?? omg soooooo jealous..Kiss the adorable Miss M for us..we miss you guys lots.

Troy said...

THANK YOU for your prayers!!

AND NO WORRIES ON THE UPDATE! I can't imagine how crazy it is and with 60+ kiddos ... so no worries at all.

Dawn said...

been thinking about you! :)

word verification is snest. ha