Thursday, May 21, 2009

Its Just Not Right

...to have a social worker come visit your home when you just brought home a baby a month ago!

I mean, seriously. But adoption requires post-placement visits/reports, the first being 3 months after you take custody...then at 6 months, then at a year, then each year until the child turns 18. The hitch the first time around is that a social worker visit is required and the paperwork is due to the agency at 2 months, so it can reach Ethiopia by the 3 month due date. Hence, the social worker visit TODAY. Did I mention that we'll only have three hours advance notice of her arrival?? Yikes.

Not that I'm worried. Its just that our month-long adjustment period had kind of left our house (and yard) in a not-so-cleanly state. But after several long hours -- put in mostly by my wonderful hubby -- he's THE MAN! -- the house may actually be presentable. Now its my job to keep it that way until she shows up. No easy task, people!

If our house has been in a sorry state, the blog has really fallen behind. You'll notice I did finally take down our countdown ticker and update my ever-so-brief profile. Like many blog slackers, I've composed a number of great postings in my head at night, between feedings...but they never come to fruition once daylight hits and the chaos/children takes/take over.

Melat continues to be a happy little trooper -- even despite an ear infection and an antibiotic-requiring diaper rash. Its sort of an extended family joke that you can only tell when she's sad by looking at her face. If you see tears, she's sad, otherwise you'd never know because she just sort of whimpers when she's upset. We know she's hungry when she thrashes around and smacks her lips. We know she's tired when she smears her face on our shoulder. Other than that she loves to smile, roll around, and watch the exciting world that is our family.






We were able to have her dedicated -- along with like a dozen or more babies -- at our mass-baby-producing church on Mother's Day. She still loves to be vocal and so felt the need to try to out-speak our pastor. What a nut. Actually, she tries to do that every Sunday, so we spend a lot of time in the church lobby.


The following week was our second son's 4th birthday -- and Melat's sort of "coming out" to much of our extended family. We love how attached she has become to us...she will go to others, but Mommy and Daddy always have to be in her line of sight. That's a good thing! She had a blast interacting with all her cousins and other family members.






I'm sure there is a lot more to report, but that's going to have to do for now. We're coping well, but still working on controlled chaos as opposed to just chaos. I know I still have to post travel photos, but that's a process that requires much thinking, so its still going to have to wait. I miss all my travelling buddies...is a three month reunion a little too soon??

7 comments:

jody said...

no-3 months is WAY TOO LONG!!! oh my goodness, it is beyond chaos here and our house is a pit. so, we are going to the beach! hey, denial ain't just a river in egypt....
seriously though, our adjustment has been less than stellar and we have had a really hard time so we are taking off to try to redeem the summer and start it off as a unified family-sounds like a good idea, right? hahahaha,let me live in my fantasy world....

Troy said...

I saw Renee was having there appointment too ... that's just crazy! I guess it works out that our home study agency does 1, 3, 6, and 12 month visits.

she's cute as can be, btw :)

Dawn said...

Ooooo yay - new pics!! So glad you all are doing well! 3 month reunion- hey sounds like a good idea to me!! Where we meeting at???

Michelle said...

I know what you mean about the chaos & the state of one's house! I hope the visit went well today. Happy birthday to Henry! :)

tscarter7 said...

Loved the pics of Grandpa and Grandma! I miss you!

Jana said...

She is such a cutie and with the home visit thing, I totally understand. We got our wires crossed with our social worker and we had 20 minutes to get ready. Oh.....THIS Wednesday!!!!

Renee said...

Ok i'm just gonna come out and be honest..the only thing i did to prepare for the social worker visit was do a light cleaning on the bathroom (in case she needed to use it) and dust the coffee table(it was in her direct line of site). Other then that nothing. Toys were tossed all over the living room because honestly thats how it looks all day. Noah Tamirat plays mainly in there and I pick toys up once a day when he's doing bedtime routine with daddy. I'm all about keeping it real and letting the social worker see my exhaustion and the wonderful chaos that is now our life. Miss you guys so much a reunion would be awesome. Not sure we are there yet with attachment so we are still not letting anyone else hold him but being parents is the bestest thing ever.