Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fun with Calendars

So, how long have we been in the Ethiopian program now? Long enough that one would think we would have heard that Ethiopia has a different calendar than us. Really. We never knew this.
Then, back on September 11th I started reading on adoption blogs -- yes, that's all I ever seem to do in my spare time these days! Its a sickness, I know. -- about that day being the Ethiopian New Years and that they are seven years behind us. Next, I come to find out that their calendar year has only ten months. How interesting is that? Confusing, too, I might add, because this plays into the calculation of the age of your adopted child. The people that know how to convert the birth date and age and all that business have my admiration, because that's just too much math for me! There are, however, handy online date-conversion calculators, one of which is here. If you have oh-so-much spare time like me, you can calculate your birth date according to the Ethiopian calendar. (ex. my birth date translates from 06/76 to 10/68) Or you can just use this handy piece of geographical trivia to amaze your friends.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm right there with you - I had no idea either! Crazy!!

Michelle Riggs said...

Fun link!

Thank you for praying for Abby.

Kristi J said...

I just read that one of your boys has autism..I know that isn't rare anymore, but one of my best friends is a leader in our community on research and autism awareness...her relentless struggle to save Jack, her son, is written about a lot in her blog listed to the left on mine..."Marathon Mommy"...down near the bottom of the list.....I've watched Jack grow and prosper through all of her efforts...I'm sure you know about all this, but thought you might enjoy chatting with her through her blog sometime..she's awesome and soooooo smart on the subject...kristi johnson

Kristi J said...

ok, so it is www.recoveringjack.blogspot.com

thought that might be faster..I looked at your other blog...thank you so much for sharing your story....It will help the thousands of children and families dealing with this horrible epidemic...God Bless, kristi

Dawn said...

We are so close to being single digits!! YAY!!!