Tuesday, March 24, 2009

6 Days until Court!

This time next week our court hearing will have already happened. I simply can't believe we're this close. I don't know what I expected...like time would stand still in some sort of limbo forever or something. Its just hard to fathom that next month we'll have our baby!

Speaking of which, rumor has it that should we pass court next week, there is a possibility that we could travel as early as April 12th! It will likely be the 19th...but it just depends when our embassy appointment in Ethiopia is scheduled. (That's how travel is decided. After the courts decide that a certain child is officially your child, an appointment is set with the US Embassy in Ethiopia to get visa/passport approval for that child. These appointments are almost always on a Monday, so families travel over the weekend prior to get there for the appointment that Monday.)

As travelling soon has become more of a reality, we are starting to collect donations for Hannah's Hope, the orphanage caring for our little girl in Ethiopia. Last Thursday I received a surprise call from the Widow's Ministry at our church. I was told they needed a project to take on, and that they would like to collect donations for the orphanage. So cool! I may be biased, but I personally believe we have the neatest group of widows in the WHOLE WORLD. Really. I love them. But for all you non-widows out there who have asked about donations, here is a list of what the orphanage needs (both for the children and for the workers):

Items needed the most are:
- diapers (all sizes)
- wipes
- 4 oz avent bottles
- lids and nipples
- bouncy seats

Other items needed:
- bibs
- hand sanitizer
- kleenex boxes
- infant & children's vitamins
- formula
- diaper rash cream
- baby shampoos & baby oil
- blow up balls/outside toys
- sidewalk chalk
- bubbles
- children's dvds & cds
- men & women's deodorant
- good quality electric shaver

Clothing:
-scrubs (for the special mothers who take care of the children)
-baby clothing
-infant - 8 mos
-light jackets or sweaters for all ages
-boys clothing for ages 6-10 yrs old
-girls clothing for ages 6-13 yrs old
-underwear for all ages
-shoes for all ages - crocs are great

Used items are fine as long as they are in very good shape. If you attend our church, I believe there will be tubs set out to collect donations. Or you can just pass them on to us at any time.

So many of you have done so much already -- we really appreciate it! I'm not asking you to do more...unless you really want to! Today I used some money from our garage sale to shop for bulk toothbrushes, deodorant, and soap at Costco. I can't wait to take it with us when we travel...soon!

11 comments:

tscarter7 said...

almost there! wooo hoooo!

Jess & Matt said...

Excited for your court date and travel soon date.

jody said...

yeah, i am kind of freaking out a bit-hi, just 2 days till court-eek!!! but so excited, too-what a wild ride!!!!

God Made Playdough said...

Are you going to be taking all those things with you or will you be shipping them?
Please text me or call/ email, whatever and let me know what happens! Praying for you!!!!
Did you find some shoes?

Greta said...

Hi! My name is Greta and I came upon your blog on accident by clicking on 'next blog' from someone else's blog.

Anyway your story is wonderful and its so exciting to read--thanks for sharing!

I went to Russia on a missions trip a few years ago, and the way home there was a new mommy with a new adopted baby. I'll be praying for that plane ride home for you!

God is so good to his children!

Troy said...

praying for you guys

Dawn said...

k - i FINALLY posted pics of the nursery!

Dawn said...

4 days

Renee said...

Almost there ...how are ya holding up..are ya ready to fly? I feel incredible blessed by the generosity of the AGCI families. The sisters I never had.

Renee said...

Will you be flying Dulles to Addis or a different route?? I have developed clautrophobia issues since the last time i took a long flight so i'm thinkin i might need sleepin meds on the way over...on the way back i guess i'll be occupied with baby boy and i'll forget where i am.

Becky - Mission 1:27 Ethiopia said...

I hope you don't mind that I've posted a link to your blog on our blog. I'd love for as many of our adoptive families as possible to get to share in the journey of other adoptions for Ethiopia!
God's best blessings in bringing your little one home!!
Becky
Adoption Ministry of YWAM - Ethiopia