Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dude, Where's My Court Date?

Wow. This part of the journey is agonizing. Its like being pregnant, but the doctor tells you that your due date could be sometime in the next three to five months. Certainly it doesn't carry with it the physical discomfort like the last stages of pregnancy, but this stage of waiting is emotionally painful. Prior to reaching this point I reassured myself that our life is busy enough to keep my mind and heart engaged for the (hopefully) three month interval between our referral and court date/travel approval. That is proving true -- but only to a point. After the boys are in bed each night --and hubby is working -- I find myself aimlessly thinking of nesting-type things that I want to do, but am unsure if I really should be doing them...yet. After all, so much is still up in the air.

I am huge on planning things ahead of time. Spontaneity was something I learned only through marriage and having two little boys. To me when something can be planned ahead of time, its so much better. I can relax. The fact that we may or may not be travelling to Africa some unknown time in the next two to three months wreaks havoc on my planner. (Let's not forget the poor grandmothers, who are essentially "on call" for two to three months from now, as they get joint-custody of our boys when we travel.)

A phone call regarding our court date is what we're waiting for now...and it essentially could come any day now, I think. (The phone call, not the court date.) Its been a month since our referral. Not all that long ago, parents weren't told of their court date until it was over. God was merciful when He had that policy changed in time for our turn through the process. I don't know how I'd stay sane with absolutely nothing to put on my calendar!

In the meantime, we're slowly getting the office/future bedroom cleared out. We bought a dresser at IKEA a few days ago. The box has been riding around in our van ever since, as we essentially haven't got a spot to put it. (Yes, its packed in a two-foot by four-foot box and we don't have anywhere to put it!) We had decided to buy it anyway, because it was just one of those days when Mama needed some sort of forward movement, lest she hole up in the her bedroom for the rest of the evening. It got us out of the house and IKEA is just so kid-friendly...it was just a good thing to do. And when you've got two to three more months to go (on the short side) you take what you can get.

But, seriously, we need a court date!

7 comments:

Erin said...

I hear ya! Today I actually packed all my stuff for the trip that I may or may not be taking in the next 1-4 months. It's pathetic!

God Made Playdough said...

Have you decided on a nursery theme? Your baby shower is just TBA! :)

Renee said...

I'm with you on this. I need something to look forward towards , something to tell friends and family, a date to pray about. I need peace of mind that we are indeed moving forward. I'm hoping some of the families that just came home saw our little guy and will email us soon but he's now 7 months old and we know so little about him. Come on AGCI call us with court dates this week..today would be nice.

Dawn said...

Oh I am SO with you. Come on - we need dates and oh yeah - we need the same one so we can all travel together!

P.S. cute new background!

Kristi J said...

ok, so how long exactly did you wait for your referral...I feel like they've forgotten about me..I'm at 6 months and 1 week and a couple of days....dying here for a call, kj

Kristi J said...

thanks sarah...we've been waiting 6 months, 1 week and 2 days..but who's counting?? ha. Did you ever ask them "what's taking so long" or did you keep quiet until it came...I'm not one to bug anyone, but I some how want to make sure I wasn't forgotten or skipped over...it is so quiet in AGCI world right now, kj

neely said...

agreed! if you find yours let me know!